Living Information

Housing-On Campus

Inha University has two residential halls, Woongbijae & Biryongjae.

Woongbijae

"Woongbijae" , Dormitory 1, a five-story building with one basement level and five aboveground, can accommodate up to 1,010 students. In addition to regular Inha students, Woongbijae houses exchange students, and is fully accessible for handicapped students. Woongbijae also offers LAN access ports, satellite TV reception, DID telephones, and a computer room. Other facilities include a cafeteria, a laundry room, a small lounge area, providing students with a comfortable living environment.

Biryongjae

Inha University opened the new Dormitory 'Biryongjae' , resembling an undulating wave, outwardly appearing a design of nature in 2006. Accommodating over 1,150 students, the new 13 story dormitory is equipped with various modern facilities such as LAN connection, digital satellite receivers, and DID telephones. The dormitory also provides students with access to a fitness room, Internet Cafe and various welfare facilities.
· For more information : http://eng.inha.ac.kr/mbshome/mbs/eng/subview.do?id=eng_051002000000

Housing-Off Campus

Types of Residence

There are a number of housing options around the school area and in Incheon. International students who are not living in the dormitory are recommended to go and see firsthand any housing before signing a contract.

Rental Type 1. Hah sook Jip (Boarding Houses)

This system is suitable for single students. Rent is paid monthly to the owner, and a contract is not required. In these settings, a landlord usually provides a room and, breakfast & dinner for the tenant. Tenants Share the living room, kitchen, and bathroom. It costs about W400,000 ~ 450,000 per month, however, extra can be charged during the summer and winter because of heating and ac. (Approx 30,000~50,000 per month)

Things to keep in mind:
  • Is it a shared room?
  • When is breakfast/dinner served? What's the menu?
  • Do they let you use the kitchen?
  • Are there showers? Check the water pressure!
  • You should also check how many people share the bathroom. You might run into trouble if you are in a hurry!!
  • Does it have a dryer or do you have to hang dry your clothes?
  • How is the room furnished? Generally, there is nothing in them, and if there is, it is usually just what has been left behind by previous tenants.
  • Check to see if they have Internet connection (most do) and weather they charge for using it (many do not).
  • Do you do your own laundry or does the “manager” (ajumma) do everyone's at the same time?
  • Do you have to buy your own official waste disposal bags?
  • If you don't want to have meals, ask the ajumma whether it is possible to get a discount.

Rental Type 2. Wuelsea (Monthly Payment)

10 to 20 times the amount of the monthly payment is given to the owner as a deposit for the term of the lease. You also pay the monthly rental fee to the owner. The deposit is returned to the tenant upon termination of the lease.)

Things to keep in mind:
  • Do you get a washing machine/dryer in your room or will you share with other tenants?
  • Usually you pay for utilities (electricity, water and gas) and a building maintenance fee
    (gwan-ri-bi), usually between W10,000-30,000. Sometimes the gwan-ri-bi includes the money
    for using water, but it depends on the owners, so remember to ask!
  • How is the room furnished?
  • In most cases you have to buy your own official waste disposal bags, which you can buy at the supermarkets.
  • Most do not have Internet connection, but some do. If it does not, ask the owner how to get.

Rental Type 3. Jeonsea (Key Money)

The Jeonse system is one of the traditional rental options in Korea. When making a contract, you pay 60 to 70 percent of the value of the house as a deposit. There are no monthly payments. This deposit is returned to you upon termination of the lease. Tenants are responsible for maintenance.

  • Holding a house by lease on a deposit basis
  • Deposit is returned at the end of the lease (only principal, not interest)
  • No monthly payments
  • Contracting period: 1~2 years on average
  • 10 percent of the deposit is paid at the time of contract signing and The remaining 90 percent of the deposit is paid when you move in

Tips!

There have been many cases of foreigners being the targets of inflated rental prices and scams in Seoul. So be very careful and if possible, get a Korean friend to help you in your search.

In March 2004, Korean laws were changed and it became illegal for landlords to force foreigners to pay more than three months rent in advance.

Check to see if you have to buy official waste disposal bags, which are sold in local through out stores. They come in different sizes, and recyclable material should be put out separately. Different neighborhoods have different recycling systems, so you should ask your landlord how it is handled in your neighborhood.

하단배경영역